Wednesday, April 13, 2011

words make life bearable (thank you)

definitely in a slump...luckily I have my headphones with me and Suzanne Vega is whispering sweet somethings in my ear.

The other day I declared I am lyrically in love with Suzanne Vega.

she is such great painting music for me;  I think I hear something new every time I listen to her words. I have to give a big shout out to Bradley Campbell my uniquely great high school English teacher. I am pretty sure he played the first strains of Suzanne Vega  that I ever heard and yes, they seemed weird at the time.

Mr. Campbell was such an awesome teacher. He had a ton of cheesy jokes and particularly liked puns. get the drift even though it's not snowing? (somewhere if jalaine reads this she is laughing and shaking her head) He brought a lot of pop culture into our English classes, music and movies and different video clips. He was great at showing us poetry outside of the book pages. While all the other classes were embarrassing themselves and putting on ridiculously bad versions of Shakespearean tragedies we were studying grammar. Maybe that sounds boring but I learned more in those lessons than I ever would have wasting time making a fool of myself in front of the entire school. Maybe that is uncool of me but hey, I wasn't cool in high school and I'm definitely not cool now. I do however, know how to use a semi-colon.

Anyway...Mr. Campbell was one of the several English teachers that really helped me understand what I love.
I loved being read to and reading when I was a child (thank you mom)
I started to love amazing, beautiful, incredible, adjectives in elementary school (thank you Ms Neilson)
I especially embraced creative writing in junior high (thank you Mr. Romine)
I became a better writer and learned how to spell the word separately in high school (thank you again Mr. Campbell)
I learned how to read literature and analyze poetry (thank you Mrs. Lair)
I matured with both reading and writing (thank you professors...you all helped in specific ways)

And to you Suzanne Vega...you are sublime and your words make my dreams feel like they could burst out of my head at any moment and dance across my eyelids.

Thank you. It means the world to me.

1 comment:

jalaine said...

"Connor...Connor!!!!!" I have Sean singing that too! You never borrowed The Navigator, did you? You totally need to subject Jeff to that movie! Sean was in awe....I think he liked Gregory's Girl okay though. LOL Hey- "I'll row yours if you......????" hehe