Monday, August 29, 2011

the miracle of life...

we joked a lot about that phrase during Jalaine's long and rough labor but Saturday August 27th, at 4:34pm what I saw can't really be described any other way. Jalaine and Sean welcomed their baby boy, Grady Brendan Colgan into the world yesterday and it was absolutely the most incredible thing I have ever witnessed in my entire life. I feel so happy that she allowed me to be such an intimate part of this special moment in their lives.


Obviously, I totally get how babies are born and how all of that stuff works but nothing really clicked until the moment I saw an actual life coming into this world. It was insane! Beauty and pain wrapped up so closely inside each other it was difficult to distinguish the two. I remember telling Jalaine that this would be the hardest and the best thing she ever did (I can only assume) and I really believe that. I had a new sense of awe for every mother I know, for mine and Jeff's and the two (make that three!) mothers' in Jalaine's delivery room. I felt an overwhelming feeling of love and admiration for women in general and this stunning thing we can achieve with our bodies. I also felt that admiration for the men that love these women...Sean was so sweet and wonderful to Jalaine. I already knew he was a good husband to her and it was so touching to see him on their journey together, celebrating the birth of their son.


I am exhausted so I can only imagine how Jalaine feels. I meant to spend my weekend painting, catching up on all the paint-less days I have missed these past few months. Grady came early so I didn't get the chance to paint but it doesn't matter because there is no way I could have captured with paint the true miracle of a new life. Love you Colgans!

1 comment:

jalaine said...

Just checked this (haven't had much computer time lately- those every 2-3 hour feedings come quickly! I thought I knew what exhaustion was- no idea!) Thank you so much for writing such a beautiful blog. I'm so very touched that you were there to share it with me. You've been right there next to me on each new most important day of my life. I love you.