Thursday, August 18, 2011

phases and changes part one: Landscapes

I know I have written before about my evolution with my painting. You can read more about that here in my blog post art is pretty


I  mentioned I am starting the cleansing of my paintings. It is finally time to go through the stacks collecting dust in the basement and determine what really needs to be a part of the permanent Alli collection, things I want to sell and I am proud to share with the world.


Really, I am proud of everything I have done. I will never forget the moment  I completed my first real painting. I can barely describe the feeling when I stood across the room like I figured you were supposed to do to view art. I took a deep breath and looked at the Alfred Sisley copy I had done, in oils of course, of an impressionist landscape. It didn't look exactly like the original but hell, I painted it and that was some good stuff! If I could copy another artists painting couldn't I paint my own?


I had always always loved art and wanted to "be an artist" whatever that meant but it really was that moment that I absolutely knew with every inch of my teenage heart that art was something really special to me and would stay with me a very long time. That is also the moment I clutched the paintbrush in my hand and it metaphorically melted, fitting to me in a way no other artist's instrument ever had.


This is the original painting I chose to copy: Meadow 1875 by Alfred Sisley






and this was my copy or interpretation of it. notice how silly me signed it? hey, I was proud!






so I knew I loved painting but what should I paint? I love outside too and beautiful sunsets and glowing meadows and the unending ocean...that is what I chose to paint.









tomorrow...part two: What is "abstract" anyway?

No comments: