Sunday, August 21, 2011

phases and changes part three: freedom of expression

I did learn pretty quickly what freedom in terms of creation means to me. It means...no brushes unless I feel like it. It means weird sizes that maybe don't always fit the standard frame sizes. (still loving those long human figure like sizes) Sometimes it means no frames and raw canvas. It means spray bottles and squeeze bottles and paper with paint or paint on paper. It means stepping into the box of what is supposed to be "professional" art and stepping right back out again because who wants those rules? I thought art didn't have any rules?


Oh, I have learned a lot. I learned a lot when I was in school studying fine art. I learned from private art lessons and I learned from other artists and I even learned quite a bit working in an art store. I learned from snotty self righteous critiques from self proclaimed "real" artists and I learned from honest helpful and humbling commentary too. I learned when during a senior painting class I randomly painted a bunch of snorkeling and playing in the ocean scenes from my honeymoon and later wondered why on earth did I paint those?! Well, I'm pretty sure I chose that subject because I was remembering a beautiful time and that was okay for that moment in my life.

I am still learning and reaching out to more artists, friends, colleagues and the wonderful world of books and the internet to continuously learn.


I know you shouldn't put glass over canvas and you should use archival mat boards, artist tape, acid free papers and other materials to protect your art. I know about different mediums you can use with paint and what types of brushes give a certain effect. I know certain acrylic paints are a more professional grade and do work better. I know how to clean my brushes and prime my canvas and what is acceptable for framing and hanging work. I know that Yupo paper is amazing.


You know what else I know? I know that sometimes it's okay to buy cheaper paint because that's all I can afford. Guess what, I'm still an artist. I also know that I can add water (free) to virtually all of my paints (even the softer bodies with more flow already) and really extend them to create the effect I want. I have done that with virtually all of my paintings and I find water works better than most of the mediums and extenders sold for that purpose. I'm not knocking all the cool stuff. I love Golden products. However, if I can only put money into my art if I sell art (that's the new reasoning)...for now it's got to be more on the "free" side!


I know I want to sell art but I don't really want to pay for a wall to display it although I am starting to think I might have to. I know my framing skills aren't the best but I can do enough to get by without going the pro route. 


I also know that all those home makeover shows are very fun to watch but they REALLY piss me off when they hand someone a canvas and some wall paint and tell them to make "art". Cool, if you want to try your hand at painting I am all for it. But when you slap some paint that matches your room decor on a board in thirty minutes and call it abstract it makes me want to scream at you to support the local artists in your area. Hey, you might even find someone to donate something if it means showing your work on a popular tv show. You have my number if you want a donation. Oh, and it also really pisses me off when this supposed art actually looks good, just sayin.


I know I love art...I love painting and I still want to crawl into some place warm and dark when I think about showing in galleries or restaurants or anywhere else. Obviously I want to and I am proud to show my work but I'm still always afraid. I'm afraid of the judgement and the explanation and the proof that what I'm doing really is pretty damn good. Did I check all the right boxes? Did I do what I was supposed to do? Does someone think I am also just slapping paint on a board?


Jenn sent me a nice comment about my previous blog on abstract and non-objective art. She enjoyed how I explained the process and I think that's something really important to note when you hear me trashing those decorating shows and their version of creating art work.


Expression comes in so many different ways. I hope you can see it in every line and swirl in my work, whether it is something non-objective or something you can recognize. Thanks for listening to me today. I appreciate everything you have to teach me.



No comments: