Wednesday, December 7, 2016

it's the season of unrest




How are you feeling today? I feel a little stuck inside at the moment. My introverted self is hiding away even more. I think it has something to do with another too fast holiday season, a simultaneously joyous and difficult time for many people.

Today I was woken up by a cute little voice asking me if he could get in bed and snuggle with me. "hi mama" he said before crawling over me and getting under the covers. I told my son I wasn't feeling very well, struck down with the typical cold achy feeling this time of year brings. "are you better?" my three year old asked sweetly, not understanding recovery for sickness is not instantaneous. I explained I just need some rest and he agreed, that rest will help me feel much better.

So, how are you feeling? Do you need some rest? Are you able to relax? Ever? It seems like things should start slowing down now but instead they are flying by so quickly as this year switches over to the next. 

Try to take a moment to relax today, if you can. I decided to light some candles and drink another cup of coffee and look at the flickering lights for a bit. 

If you are an eighties kid like me you might remember that famous movie quote: "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." That sentiment always feel appropriate as we close out the year. Grab a little slice of these last few days of 2016 and savor it. 

Maybe savoring the end of a year full of shitty things feels laughable, but personally, I'm looking at the fact that I am still waking up each day, hoping to feel better and step more outside of my hideaway. It's not going to happen instantaneously. I have seen people in my own circle fighting illness, fighting for relationships, standing up for others rights, trying to understand each other, trying to better the world. It all matters. Just like a moment of rest matters too. Here's to another year of finding those moments. And savoring them.

If you have that moment to rest and are looking for something else to read I would love for you to check out my post at Mother Manifesto here. It's a piece about home. xoxo







1 comment:

JBJ said...

This is precisely how I am feeling, too, friend! I am in much need of a moment of rest, and need to find the time soon. 2016 has been nuts, and it feels like time is spinning away as we approach the end of the year!! Wishing you many moments of rest and peace, and great health for your whole crew!!