Sunday, January 23, 2011

but still the days seem the same...

Several years ago I painted a landscape as a gift for my parents who were still married at the time. It included green rolling hills and a wooden fence with their initials engraved into the wood. Later, after they divorced I guess my dad decided he didn't want it so it ended up with my mom. It really bothered me to see this painting now after it had been hanging up in their bedroom years before so I took it and decided to touch it up a little, remove the initials and make it something fresh.

Originally I was just going to take their initials off the fence and touch up the sky a little bit (my painting skills have improved since I painted it and I thought I could do a much better sky) Once I started working on it I realized how appropriate it would be to change it a lot..to make it a different season to reflect the changing times. I thought, can you just go and change a painting? And then I thought, uh, yes it's my painting and I will do whatever I please.

Here is how the painting originally looked:


This is the detail of the initials on the fence:


This is how the seasons changed:


A new season is born:



I decided to go with the initials of a couple that will make it through the changing times, the rough and the cold, the bitter and sweet, the times where you feel like you can't communicate but you do it anyway even though it's hard and it hurts your heart a little or a lot...a couple that will make it through the everything and the in-between...

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm very impressed. Beautiful.

Alli said...

thank you...that means a lot to me...