Friday, January 28, 2011

yupolicious

I have so enjoyed working with paint in a more liquefied state...it does so many incredible things...but while I was working part time at an art store I had the opportunity to fall in love with another medium, ink.

Those who I worked with at ( hmmm, let's call the place "Terry's" for anonymity )will agree that often times we had no products to sell, no customers to sell non-products to and thus ended up with a lot of time on our hands. Luckily we are all artists and had lots of broken and otherwise used items to play with and learn new techniques.

I had worked with ink a little bit in school but had never really mastered how to handle it... It turns out I just needed to have a lot more freedom and some new surfaces to really make something work. I tried out Yupo paper which is this pretty awesome impermeable synthetic paper that is super durable. It's perfect for me because I really like to water stuff down and the paper stays flat while everything drys. Because the ink sits on top of the paper it also has some interesting effects, particularly when I worked at different layering processes. After a few misses I came up with some beautiful stuff:



Right now I'm working with some cooler colors and trying out new and different effects. Tomorrow I'll post a step by step process of creating one of these ink and Yupo paintings. No happy little trees here!

No comments: