Sunday, March 13, 2011

the daily om

I love all the horoscope stuff and I get the daily om which is usually inspiring, sometimes chastising and typically true to my mood more often than not.

Friday was a long tedious day at the end of a long and tedious week. When I read my daily om it struck me as very important so I thought I would post it here...ps. if you want your own daily dose of om-ness check out http://www.dailyom.com/

March 11, 2011
Comfort In The Past
Pisces Daily Horoscope
An introspective mood can strike suddenly today, inspiring you to set aside a block of time to think about the manner in which your life has developed thus far. You may feel drawn to meditate on your past to see how you have changed or to look into your childhood to determine how your ingrained behavioral patterns developed. Exploring your personal history can be a comforting activity, even if there are aspects of your past you remember as being unpleasant. What you discover about yourself today can give you a renewed sense of self-assurance that helps you confidently tackle issues currently unfolding in your life.

Taking some time to reflect upon the challenges we faced in the past can serve as a potent reminder that our current circumstances are temporary. When life is rough, it can seem like we are mired in a never-ending cycle of struggle. Yet even a short bout of introspection can show us that few, if any, situations outlive our capacity to cope with them. Looking back upon those periods of our lives in which we were called upon to survive great odds, we see that we rose above adversity with a surprisingly unflappable grace. Though we may not have understood it at the time, our determined spirit and our copious inner strength provided us with more than enough tools to see us through into brighter days. As you meditate on your past today, you will come to realize that you are well equipped to deal with the circumstances you are facing right now. 

So...I spent a lot of time painting this weekend...particularly huge masses of green broccoli like trees (you'll see soon enough) but I also prepped some small canvases for some hummingbird paintings I plan to do and I also came close to wrapping up a request from a friend of mine, a sunset painting of a temple. 

I was very all over the place in terms of creating but through it all safe inside my own quiet space, listening to music and often becoming emotional thinking about the current issues in my world right now, both my own smaller picture place but the world at large as well. When Friday morning, over a "shouldn't be eating this" bowl of lucky charms Jeff said "whoa, a massive earthquake hit Japan" and we both watched the videos of waves of destruction. We watched the debris filled water, fire-lit and frightening, chasing after human life and creation. It was powerful and saddening but enlightening for me.

I see a lot of people throwing their thoughts out there, saying prayers and sorrow for the people afflicted with these disasters as they happen every day, month, year...every minute. The world is a never-ending  "circumstance you are facing right now." I feel thankful that the "earthquakes" I am feeling right now are ones that I can handle...

A great part of the weekend was seeing my beautiful friend Jalaine (she is + one now! congratulations!) and I distinctly remember telling her I just didn't see the point in writing in this blog, in painting, in this creation stuff. I was frustrated and down (yet again) and going through the whole "why the hell am I wasting my time..." Later, after I got home and was settling in from the evening out I thought...well, what ELSE should I be doing with my time? I mean, I love some trashy reality tv but come on, that's not going to build any dreams. So I went back downstairs to put on my headphones and paint some more. I have a pretty good art mix for myself to listen to while I paint. A lot of the songs have lyrics that inspire me and one that popped out was "it's amazing" by Jem. So perfect. 

Do it now
You know who you are
You feel it in your heart
And you're burning and wishing

At first, wait, won't get it on a plate
You're gonna work for it harder and harder
And I know 'cause I've been there before
Knocking on the doors with rejection (rejection)
And you'll see 'cause if it's meant to be
Nothing can compare to deserving your dream

[Chorus:]
It's amazing, it's amazing all that you can do
It's amazing, it makes my heart sing
Now it's up to you

Patience, now, frustration's in the air
And people who don't care
Well it's gonna get you down
And you'll fall (fall)
Yes you will hit a wall
But get back on your feet
And you'll be stronger and smarter

And I know 'cause I've been there before
Knockin' down the doors, won't take "No" for an answer
And you'll see 'cause if it's meant to be
Nothing can compare to deserving your dream

I hope all of the people out there in this hard to live in world will find peace and get back on their feet...we all deserve to live our dreams.


1 comment:

Jenn said...

I saw my family last night for Sunday dinner and we talked a lot about "what it's all about." We were having a discussion on 2012 and the "end of the world..." and my dad was saying he might take up smoking if the world is going to end in a year. Haha. But it made me think very seriously about making sure that I enjoy NOW because, really, it is all we have. And it makes me sad when you ask what is the point of blogging and painting if it could all be meaningless in the blink of an eye because...you love writing and you love painting and the POINT is that you're doing what you love. For you. And if it impacts someone else, or the world...then that is good too. It sounds like you figured that out, I just wanted to make sure...