Wednesday, June 21, 2017

k is for...

Movement starts early on in life. Before you see your babies first scrunchy, yawning expression, you are likely to feel them wriggling around inside your body. It starts as a little flutter, lighter than air. You might feel like you are imagining it. And those flutters turn to jabs and kicks and rolling. Every body handles pregnancy differently, but movement is a big factor for many mamas. 


My son rolled around, stretching his long body as far as he could, his little butt jutting my stomach out. It was beyond words, just the most incredible feeling. And weird too. Definitely weird.

Once he was born he was free to fully wiggle, and the movement has not stopped. He was popping his arms out of his swaddle. Now he can hardly sit still, sliding out of his chair, tapping and pressing his feet against mine when we are snuggling on the couch, flailing his legs and arms around every chance he gets. 

He is very often in motion, just like an exciting work of art. When paint seems like it is moving, floating, drifting or rushing on a still canvas, it inspires me.

K was a difficult letter. A few words rolled around in my mind but I settled on kinetic. Movement. Motion. 



It feels fitting for a creative mom. A mom is on the go, moving sometimes even in sleep, always reaching, wondering, awake and running. 





K also stands for Kid Crafts. Check out my blog each month for a new craft. I'll confess, I prefer fine art to crafting but my taste has transformed a bit as I have grown into parenthood. There is a whole world of fun things to create out of various items. It's enjoyable to watch my son construct something and in turn learn about color, composition and art materials. Pom poms are fun. Glitter is magical. Pipe cleaners become animals, cupcake liners have endless possibilities and you know what, it's FUN. So craft away fellow artists, I will share my ideas each week. 


No comments: