Wednesday, September 14, 2016

abc's of the creative mama









My new project is a series of small paintings: the abc's of the creative mama.

These paintings are small for several reasons, the first being lack of time. I also feel like I have a lot of large, weepy, lovely feelings contained within a small space and these small paintings reflect that part of myself. 



A is for awake.

Always awake.

Awake for the baby. Even if the baby is sleeping. Awake for the quietest movement, the worry, the darkness. The light.

Awake and awash in the beauty.

Seeing things through a child's eyes is not a cliche. When my son is experiencing the beauty of something new, it awakens the childlike part of me that is tramped down, that is supposed to stay asleep in this world of work, pay bills, work, exist. In those moments of elation the world is new to me again. 

In my child's moments of sadness, anger, frustration, illness and fear I am also awakened. Sometimes it is so intense I feel like I am barely above water. I'm nearly drowning in all of these swirling emotions, the joy and the pain that is a human being growing and learning how to be a part of this tragic and beautiful world. 

As an artist, I feel hyper aware of the world around me. The hues of nature, a turquoise door, exposed brick walls, flowers growing in unexpected places, ice melting in a black lake, stacks of vivid fruit...the images that awaken me are endless. 

What is a wonderful B word that resonates with the idea of the creative mama? Leave me a comment below with your ideas :-) 

1 comment: