Wednesday, September 7, 2016

look at this stuff...isn't it neat?

First: an apology and a confession. I was not able to complete the second part of my project I planned to debut today. I am waiting for some material that has not yet arrived so please stay tuned. Here's a hint: abcd...

So, today, I'm sharing a simple, easy craft you can complete with your kiddo. My son is currently very into the Little Mermaid. He wants to live in the TV with her and dress up as a mermaid for Halloween. He also decided he wants a store that sells cars, trucks, roads, garage doors and mermaids. Just a few of his favorite things.

For this project you need:

1. washi tape. (if you are unsure just google it. It's really cute, you can buy it anywhere and it peels off of everything easily.)
2. paper
3. colored pencils
4. glue stick
5. other decorative crafty items of your choice. I used fake flowers.



washi tape. I'm cute!
Draw your basic mermaid shape. It doesn't have to look good because with any luck it will be covered up by your crafty kid. I'm pretty sure my mermaid had a uniboob and no hands. I used blue paper for the idea of water but any color will do. Go crazy. It doesn't have to be a mermaid. Draw whatever your child is obsessing about! The idea here was to stick on the washi tape like "scales" on the mermaids tail. You could use the same idea for shingles on a house, bricks in the road, whatever.





My son started adding tape all over to make eyes, a nose and mouth. I tore up some washi tape pieces for him and also let him tear his own pieces. Warning: tape pieces torn by preschoolers will be ridiculously long and stick to everything. Luckily washi tape peels right off!

He especially enjoyed using the glue stick to add flowers for hands and flowers in general. You might notice the abandoned half eaten graham cracker in the corner. Abandoned for this project. Because it was that awesome.






This was a great activity that had very little mess (if that kind of thing bothers you). The finished project is fun, imaginative and colorful.


see? mermaid drawing skills unnecessary. 

No comments: